Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Showing primary children industry in action is fun and improves science understanding!


A recent site visit by Fowlmere Primary School, Royston, to the local Johnson Matthey site on 24th June demonstrated how engaged the children were by what they had seen and the science they had been shown.

The site visit followed class science activities with  CIEC Advisory Teacher Clare Warren. During the site visit the children saw some of the science they had learned about in school in action at Johnson Matthey.

Here are some comments made by the children following the visit:

What the children said:
“I did like learning more things.”
“I enjoyed learning how to make catalyst cover.”
“I enjoyed working in different groups.”
“I enjoyed making the washcoat experiment with ketchup.  I also like seeing the robots working downstairs.”
“I didn’t like my group but did enjoy learning how to make stuff.”
“Science is one of my favourite subjects and I enjoyed everything.”
“I enjoyed the project because it was something different.”
“Science is one of my favourite subjects and I really enjoyed the trip so thank you very much.”

In response to what did you enjoy the most:
“Visiting the site; learning a lot about catalytic converters in vehicles.”
“Having the tour and making the soap.”
“Making and testing our bubble recipes.”
“Doing the salt experiment.”
“Doing experiments in class.”
“Is doing all the experiments that we don’t often do at school.”
“I enjoyed sucking up the ketchup.  Also I like doing the washcoat.”
“Visiting the site.  Holding a catalyst.”
In response to what did you enjoy the least:

“Never sitting down!”
“I enjoyed everything.”
“Climbing up the long, big stairs!”
“Making the soap.”
“I think the bubble experiment wasn’t very sciencey!”
“Look at cars.”


No comments:

Post a Comment