The chemical industry and its service industries in the wider economy account for about 20% of the UK GDP. It is definitely worth telling studentsabout this industry as this is where the jobs are!
A good introduction to the industry is the CIEC flagship post-16 site The Essential Chemical Industry
Although the units are self-contained, you will find that throughout this web site there are cross-references to material in other units, which is easily obtained by the designated hyperlinks. There is also a facility which allows you to search the whole site. These two approaches will help you to follow up related topics and to explore more widely.
75 of the units are presented in five thematic groups:
- Industrial processes
- Materials and applications
- Basic chemical
- What does the chemical industry produce?
- How does the chemical industry compare with other industries?
- What is the value of the chemical industry geographically?
- How large are the world’s chemical companies?
- Where are the chemical sites located and why?
- The minerals industry
- Research and Development (R&D)
- The chemical industry: how safe and how environmentally regulated?
- What are the challenges for the chemical industry today?